Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Elf's Originality Transcends Format


Day 6: Comedy

When you watch a movie, sometimes (alright, a lot of the time) you know what’s going to happen.  Depending on the genre, you’ll know if a couple gets together at the end, if someone’s going to die, etc.  This is because of the strict format that movies follow.  The screenplay has the movie divided into specific sections.  When a movie follow this format, but still is inventive and original, it is spectacular.  “Elf” is one of those movies.

“Elf” appeals to all ages and is hilarious to everyone.  It is the realistic portrayal of a man that finds out he is adopted and goes on a journey to find his birth father.  Only the man was raised as an elf, has never left the North Pole, and now experiences New York from an innocent, sugar-loaded viewpoint.

What makes “Elf” so great is that it places Buddy the Elf in unique situations.  We find out what he can excel at and what troubles him.  If the Christmas theme was gone, it would still be a heartwarming story.

And of course, we have two excellent actors from the “The [Insert Name Here] Show” generation.  Bob Newhart from “The Bob Newhart Show” and Ed Asner from “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” (both shows are fantastic, by the way.  I am a fan of the “The ___ Show” shows).

If you haven’t seen “Elf” yet, you need to.  It is a new Christmas classic, year-round.

Memorable Elf Quotes (more found here)
1.      Buddy: We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup. 
2.      Buddy: What about santa's cookies? I suppose parents eat those too? 
3.      Buddy: [out of breath from chasing Michael] Wow, you're fast. I'm glad I caught up to you. I waited 5 hours for you. Why is your coat so big? So, good news - I saw a dog today. Have you seen a dog? You probably have. How was school? Was it fun? Did you get a lot of homework? Huh? Do you have any friends? Do you have a best friend? Does he have a big coat, too?... 
4.      Gimbel Manager: Why are you smiling like that? 
Buddy: I just like to smile, smiling's my favorite 
5.      Buddy: Francisco! That's fun to say! Francisco... Frannncisco... Franciscooo... 
6.      Nun: But the children love the books! 
7.      Buddy: You sit on a throne of lies! 
8.      Buddy: Actually, I'm a human, but I was raised by elves. 
Carolyn: I'm a human... raised by humans. 
Buddy: Cool. 
9.      Emily: You like sugar, huh? 
Buddy: Is there sugar in syrup? 
Emily: Yes. 
Buddy: Then YES! 
10.  Buddy: I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.
11.  [reacting to sign saying "World's Best Cup of Coffee"] 
Buddy: You did it! Congratulations! World's best cup of coffee! Great job, everybody! It's great to be here. 
12.  Buddy: The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.
13.  Buddy: I'm a cotton-headed ninny-muggins. 
14.  Buddy: [reading the note he left on the etch-a-sketch] "I'm sorry I ruined your lives, and crammed eleven cookies into the VCR." 
15.  Emily: So, Buddy, how'd you sleep? 
Buddy: Great! I got a full 40 minutes!  

What's your favorite "Elf" quote?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips