Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Princess Bride Quotes


DAY 9 – A Movie You Practically Know the Whole Script Of

 
“The Princess Bride” is an incredibly quotable movie – which is why I know almost the whole script of it.  The “inconceivable’s” and “as you wish’s” of the movie is what makes it so memorable.

Grandson: A book?
Grandpa: That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you.
Grandson: Has it got any sports in it?
Grandpa: Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...
Grandson: Doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.
Grandpa: Oh, well, thank you very much, very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming.


Having the story-within-a-story heightens the suspense.  At pivotal moments in the story, the grandfather stops reading and we go to the grandson’s bedroom and the grandfather reassures his grandson.  He tells him what will happen, which makes us want to watch the rest of the movie because we want to know what happens next.  If Buttercup is not eaten by eels, then what will happen to her?

Grandpa: She doesn't get eaten by the eels at this time.
Grandson: What?
Grandpa: The eel doesn't get her. I'm explaining to you because you look nervous.
Grandson: I wasn't nervous. Maybe I was a little bit "concerned" but that's not the same thing.

Vizzini is in the process of trying to start a war between two countries, so you would think that he would have some brains behind him.  However, when he engages in a battle of wits with Westley (Man in Black at this point in the movie)…

Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

 And one last quote for you:

Hello.  My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips